You are here

Robinson-Spangler North Carolina Room Image Collection

Aerial View of Charlotte

This view of the uptown was taken in 1966. The point of view is from above First Ward, looking due west. The intersection of Trade and Tryon Streets is at the center of the image.

Sydenham B. Alexander

Captain Sydenham B. Alexander served in NC 42nd Regiment, Company K. He was Commander of Mecklenburg Camp of North Carolina Veterans of Charlotte, North Carolina from 1912-1915.

Thomas Hanchett, Order of the Longleaf Pine

On May 17, 2017, Thomas Hanchett received the Order of the Longleaf Pine. It is conferred by the governor to “persons for exemplary service to the State of North Carolina and their communities that is above and beyond the call of duty and which has made a significant impact and strengthened North Carolina.”

Future of the former Eastland Mall site.

The Eastland mall opened in 1975. It occupied 90 acres of land in East Charlotte, bounded by Central Avenue, Sharon Amity Road, and Wilora Lake Road. It closed in 2010, and the City of Charlotte acquired the property and demolished the buildings.

On May 18, 2017, the City invited residents to an informational meeting and party on the site of the old mall. Visitors made art on the parking lot surface, rode on free bicycles, and exchanged ideas and memories with representatives of city government and each other.  

Ribbon Cutting, Greenway Extension

On May 3, 2017, the Greenway reached Cordelia Park. The newly-opened segment from 12th St. to Cordelia Park, following Little Sugar Creek, brought the total mileage of the Greenway system in Mecklenburg County to 37.  City and County leaders cooperated to plan and execute the project and appeared together to celebrate its opening. Holding scissors, from left to right are County Commissioner George Dunlap, Mayor Jennifer Roberts, and County Commissioner Vilma Leake. 

Reverend William R. Douglas (1858 - 1914)

The Reverend William R. Douglas, served as pastor of the Little Rock AME Zion Church and oversaw the construction of the church on Seventh Street that once served as the African American Cultural Center. He and his family moved to Knoxville, Tennessee sometime after 1912 where he died three years later on June 4, 1914. Physical Description: Publisher: Unknown