You are here

Chadwick Mill Village

Object Year: 
1916
Object Height: 
3 1/2 inches
Object Width: 
5 1/2 inches
Prints Available: 
Yes
Image ID: 

Use the Image ID above when requesting image prints.

The Chadwick Mill Village (settlement) History

Edward Arthur Smith ( 1862-1933) was a Baltimore native who came to Charlotte as a representative of Thomas K. Carey and Son, an industrial supply firm in Baltimore. After selling his interest in a local business, the Charlotte Supply Company In 1901, Smith set about building and operating his own mills.

His first mill was the Chadwick, located about three miles northwest of town on Rozelle’s Ferry Road and the Seaboard Air Line Railway tracks. Named after Col. H. S. Chadwick, owner of the the Louise Mill,  the new three-story plant was built by the J. A. Jones Construction Company, and a mill village of 40 houses was put in place just north of the factory. The Chadwick was built and started operations in 1901.

Published by the United 5-1--25 Cent Stores, Inc.

Image Collection Category: 
Charlotte Postcard Collection
Image Collection Format: 
Postcard