Camp Greene was a military cantonment camp for Army soldiers training for field combat, aviation, calvary, and transport. Located just outside the city limits in what is now the Enderly Park Neighborhood. The camp closed and was torn down after the war in the summer of 1919.
You are here
Robinson-Spangler North Carolina Room Image Collection
Built in the summer of 1917, Camp Greene was a military cantonment camp that trained soldiers in aspect of warfare before shipping out to France. This particular postcard demonstrates how men trained on the field.
The Hotel, located at 513 North McDowell and Ninth Streets was a three-story white frame home advertised as "one of the Nation's finest and most exclusive and newest Negro hotels." Owned and operated by Dr. J. Eugene Alexander and his wife, Bobbie. Built in 1905, it first served the community as the Florence Crittenton Home, a shelter for "fallen women" operated by Charles Crittenton. In the mid 1940s, Alexander turned it into a hotel. When legislation was passed to desegregate hotels, it closed. The building was destroyed by the fire department in 1973 in a controlled burn.
Once known as the Radisson Plaza in Charlotte at 2 NCNB Plaza is now the Omni Charlotte Hotel Bankd of America Plaza at the intersection of Trade and College Streets. It was completed in the mid-1960s.
When it was completed in 1897, the Louise Mill was the largest cotton textile mill in Charlotte. Like most mills of the period, the owners also built a village for its workers and families. Hubert Smith Chadwick of Rhode Island, moved to Charlotte and formed the Charlotte Machinery Company in 1892 and organized the establishment of the Louise Mill. (He named the mill after his wife, Blanche Louise Dodsworth whom Chadwick married in Charlotte in 1896.
Jordan's Drug Store was located in the first block of North Tryon Street at the Square. Owned and operated by Robert Hall Jordan (1856-1908), a native of Chester, South Carolina, who moved to Charlotte where he opened a successful drugstore. He was also involved in banking and textiles.
Before 1960, Lake Wylie was known as Lake Catawba. Located on the Catawba River in both Gaston and Mecklenburg Counties, the lake formed after the construction of dam in South Carolina. Most of the 325 mile lake is in the South Carolina.
Mercy Hospital was founded by the Sisters of Mercy of Belmont, North Carolina in February 1906. Originally it was a twenty-five bed facility in a wooden building on East First Street behind St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church. The second facility, pictured here, opened in 1916 on East Fifth Street. Additions increasedthe amount of space and by 1960, the hospital had a capacity of 300 beds
This is the second Sloans Ferry Bridge to cross the Catawba River that connects Gaston and Mecklenburg Counties. ICompleted in 1933 and is comprised of steel and concrete caste-in-place; The bridge measures 1,124.1 feet (342.6 m) in length and 43.3 feet (13.2 m). Plaques on the bridge show that it was erected as a memorial to the men of the counties of Mecklenburg and Gaston who served in the world war (1917-1918).