You are here

Robinson-Spangler North Carolina Room Image Collection

First Ward Graded School

Located at the corner of Ninth and Brevard Streets,  First Ward Graded School was originally called North Graded School. The cornerstone was laid on March 13, 1900 with an address given by Dr. Alexander Graham, who served as the Superintendent from 1888 - 1913. 

Charlotte Post Office and Shipp Monument

This is how the United States Post Office in Charlotte looked in the early 1900s.  On the right of the card is the Shipp Monument which was erected by the Shipp family of Lincoln County in honor of their son William E. Shipp, who was killed at the Battle of Santiago in Cuba during the Spanish-American War.

Louise Cotton Mill

The Louise Cotton Mill still stands at 1101 Hawthorne Lane in Charlotte. At the time of its completion in 1897, it was the largest mill in Charlotte. In 1901, a large additon was completed. Herbert Smith Chadwick (1856-1899) was the owner He also built 60 mill houses nearby in rows of five with twelve houses to a row. Chadwick came to an untimely end after being honorably discharged from the Army during the Spanish-American War. One year later, he committed suicide in 1899 while in Boston for business.

Chadwick Mill Village

The Chadwick Mill Village (settlement) History

Edward Arthur Smith ( 1862-1933) was a Baltimore native who came to Charlotte as a representative of Thomas K. Carey and Son, an industrial supply firm in Baltimore. After selling his interest in a local business, the Charlotte Supply Company In 1901, Smith set about building and operating his own mills.

Louise Cotton Mill

The Louise Cotton Mill still stands at 1101 Hawthorne Lane in Charlotte. At the time of its completion in 1897, it was the largest mill in Charlotte. In 1901, a large additon was completed. Herbert Smith Chadwick (1856-1899) was the owner He also built 60 mill houses nearby in rows of five with twelve houses to a row. Chadwick came to an untimely end after being honorably discharged from the Army during the Spanish-American War. One year later, he committed suicide in 1899 while in Boston for business.

Ovens Auditorium and the Charlotte Coliseum

Ovens Auditorium is located on East Independence Boulevard. Conpletedin 1955, it was named  for outspoken civic leader David Ovens (1872-1957),  the leader of the auditorium-coliseum citizen planning committee. The 2,600-seat auditorium adjoins the Charlotte Coliseum, which also opened in 1955. At one time, the building had the world's largest unsupported concrete dome.  The 208,400-square-foot Charlotte Coliseum featured nearly 10,000 seats.

Two Soldiers at Mess Hall at Camp Greene

Two soldiers stand in front of the Camp Greene Mess Hall  in 1917. Built between 1917 and 1918, Camp Green was a miltary cantanonment facility that prepared men to become Army soldiers. It was located in the western part of the city in the neighborhoold known as Enderly Park.

First Presbyterian Church of Charlotte

The history of  First Presbyterian Church dates back to 1821. This is the second building associated with the church and is located at 200 West Trade Street. The exterior features the Gothic Revival style of architecture and was constructed in 1857. The facade, narthex and tower, with the steeple were rebuilt in 1883-84.

Camp Greene Drill Field

Camp Greene was a military cantonment camp for Army soldiers training for field combat, aviation, calvary, and transport. Located just outside the city limits in what is now the Enderly Park Neighborhood. The camp closed and was torn down after the war in the summer of 1919.