You are here
Mecklenburg County Poor House and County Home
- Brown, Roy M. The University of North Carolina Social Study Series: Public Poor Relief in North Carolina. Chapel Hill, NC: The University of North Carolina Press, 1928.
- Carleton, Will. “Over the Hill to the Poor-House.” 1872
- Dix, Dorothea. Memorial Soliciting A State Hospital . . . Submitted to the General Assembly of North Carolina (Raleigh, 1848), p.17. Accessed at http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/dixdl/dixdl.html July 10, 2018
- Kirk, J. S.; Cutter, Walter; and Morse, Thomas W. Emergency Relief in North Caroina: A Record of the Development and the Activities fo the North Carolina Emergency Relief Administration, 1932-1935. Raleigh, NC, 1936. https://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/emergencyrelief/emergencyrelief.html, accessed May 9, 2019.
- Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, Minutes of the Court of Common Pleas and Quarter Sessions. Ferguson, Herman W., transcriber. 7 vols., Rocky Mount, NC: 1995-2005.
- Miller, John S., Jr. Interview in Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library, July 17, 1996.
- Orr, T.J. Map of Mecklenburg County: Showing Townships, Boundaries, School Districts, Churches, Post Offices, Watercourses, Public Roads, Railroads, Etc. Copyrighted March 29, 1888; 39”X34”, scale 1 mile to the inch.
- Spratt, J.W. and Spratt, T. S. “Group No. 1: Property of Mecklenburg County, Mecklenburg County, N.C., showing County Home buildings for white.” Scale 1”=30’. 1934
- “Wardens of the Poor,” http://www.poorhousestory.com/NC_WardensPoor.htm, accessed July 9, 2018.