You are here

Universities and Colleges North Carolina

Johnson C. Smith University

First known as Biddle University, Johnson C. Smith University was founded in 1870 on Beatties Ford Road. Colonel W.R. Myers donated the land. The school was named for its financial benefactor, Mary Biddle. On March 1, 1923, the school changed its name to Johnson C. Smith University in honor of another donor. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dixie News Company

Presbyterian College

Presbyterian College for Women was located on College Street. It changed its names to Queens College when the school moved to Selwyn Avenue. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Unknown

North Carolina Medical College

The North Carolina Medical College was chartered in 1892 at Davidson College. The upper graduates moved to Charlotte in 1903 with the opening of the Presbyterian Hospital. The entire medical college moved into this building Charlotte in 1907. Its address was 215 N. Church St., the southwest corner of Sixth and Church Streets. The school closed in 1913. Today the building has been renovated for apartments. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: HC Leighton Manufacturers

Presbyterian College

Presbyterian College for Women was located on College Street. It changed its names to Queens College when the school moved to Selwyn Avenue. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: S H Kress

Elizabeth College

Elizabeth College was an all girl's school located at the intersection of Elizabeth Avenue and Hawthorne Lane. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Souvenier Postcard Company

Elizabeth College

Elizabeth College was located at the intersection of Elizabeth Avenue and Hawthorne Lane. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Rotograph Company

Elizabeth College

Elizabeth College for women was founded in 1897 at what is now the intersection of Elizabeth Avenue and Hawthorne Lane. The main building was 172 by 143 feet, four stories high and constructed of brick and Indiana limestone. At the time this postcard was made there were thirty instructors and about 130 students. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Raphael Tuck and Sons

Elizabeth College

Elizabeth College for women was founded in 1897 at what is now the intersection of Elizabeth Avenue and Hawthorne Lane. The main building was 172 by 143 feet, four stories high and constructed of brick and Indiana limestone. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: American News Company

Elizabeth College

Elizabeth College for women was founded in 1897 at what is now the intersection of Elizabeth Avenue and Hawthorne Lane. The main building was 172 by 143 feet, four stories high and constructed of brick and Indiana limestone Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Washington News Company

Elizabeth College

Elizabeth College for women was founded in 1897 at what is now the intersection of Elizabeth Avenue and Hawthorne Lane. The main building was 172 by 143 feet, four stories high and constructed of brick and Indiana limestone The school was famous of for the Gerard Conservatory of Music. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Stone and Barringer Publishers