You are here

Universities and Colleges North Carolina

Queens College

Queens College is located on Selwyn Avenue. Founded in 1912, it was traditionally as school for young women before becoming co-ed in the 1970s. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Unknown

Queens College

Founded in 1912, Queens College, now University, is located on Selwyn Avenue. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Unknown

Central Piedmont Community College

Postcard of the Richard H. Hagemeyer Learning Resource Center of Central Piedmont Community College on Elizabeth Avenue. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dexter Press

Mercy Hospital School of Nursing

Mercy Hospital was founded by the Sisters of Mercy of Belmont, North Carolina in February 1906. Originally it was a twenty-five bed facility in a wooden building on East First Street behind St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church. The second facility, pictured here, opened in 1916 on East Fifth Street. Additions increased and by 1960, the hospital had a capacity of 300 beds. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Genuine Curteich

Elizabeth College

Elizabeth College operated in Charlotte from 1896 to 1915. It was located at the intersection of Hawthorne Lane and Elizabeth Avenue. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Unknown

Central High School

Central High School was opened around 1908. Located on Elizabeth Avenue, the building is now part of the Central Piedmont Community College's campus. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dixie News Company

Central High School

Central High School was opened around 1908. Located on Elizabeth Avenue, the building is now part of the Central Piedmont Community College's campus. Physical Description: 3x5 black and white Publisher: Graycraft Card Company

Elizabeth College

Elizabeth College opened in 1896. Located on Hawthorne Lane at the intersection with Elizabeth Avenue, some of the buildings became part of Presbyterian Hospital. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Souvenier Postcard Company

North Carolina Medical College

The North Carolina Medical College was chartered in 1892 at Davidson College. The upper graduates moved to Charlotte in 1903 with the opening of the Presbyterian Hospital. The entire medical college moved into this building Charlotte in 1907. Its address was 215 N. Church St., the southwest corner of Sixth and Church Streets. The school closed in 1913. Today the building has been renovated for apartments. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: HC Leighton Manufacturers