You are here

Buildings

First National Bank

The First National Bank was located at 112 South Tryon Street. It merged with the American Trust Company in 1958. Physical Description: 3x5 black and white Publisher: Graycraft Card Company

Mint Museum of Art

The Mint Museum of Art is located on Randolph Road. (The structure is the original United States Mint that once located on West Trade Street.) It was moved to its current location sometime in the 1930s and opened in 1936 as an art museum. Today it houses great works of art. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Genuine Curteich

Charlotte City Hall (1927)

Charlotte City Hall was constructed in 1920 of Indiana limestone.  Located on East Trade Street, it was first occupied in 1927. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dixie News Company

Hotel Charlotte

The Hotel Charlotte opened is doors in 1923. It was located at the corner of West Trade and Poplar Streets. The hotel was the most popular hotel in Charlotte. During the 1920s, the Hotel Charlotte was site of an early recording studio. Bill Monroe, the Delmore Brothers and other country music legends made their early recordings at the hotel. It was demolished in 1988. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Genuine Curteich

Trust Building

The Trust Building on South Tryon Street housed the Charlotte Opera House (1902-1922) on the first floor. A number of other businesses had offices in the Trust Building, including the Southern Power Company as well as the Academy of Music. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: HC Leighton Manufacturers

Mayfair Hotel now the Dunhill

The Mayfair Hotel, now known as the Dunhill Hotel, is located at the corners of North Tryon and 6th Streets. Built by two local physicians, Dr. James Pleasant Mattheson and Dr. C.N. Peeler, the hotel opened its doors as the Mayfair Manor on November 15, 1929. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the hotel was designed by Louis Asbury. The Dunhill Hotel Associates restored the Mayfair to its present grandeur in the late 1980s, and changed its name. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: E. C. Kropp Company

C.W. Johnston Building

C.W. Johnston was president of the Highland Mill Manufacturing Company, and was a leader in the textile industry. The Johnston Building was seventeen stories high and was located in the 200 block of South Tryon Street. It was one of the tallest skyscrapers in North Carolina when it was completed 1924 Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: E. C. Kropp Company

Barringer Hotel

The Barringer Hotel opened its doors on December 15, 1940 at 425 North Tryon Street. Built by Laurence S. Barringer and his sister Flora, the hotel was named for their father, William Rufus Barringer. The latter owned a number of elegant hotels in the south. Today it is a Senior Citizens Residence Home and Center. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dexter Press

Realty Building

The Realty Building was located at the corner of Trade and Tryon and was built in 1907. Designed by Louis Asbury, it was renamed the Independence Building in 1920 and was torn down in 1970. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: E. C. Kropp Company

Barringer Hotel

 
The Barringer Hotel opened its doors on December 15, 1940 at 4425 North Tryon Street. Built by Laurence S. and his sister Flora Barringer, the hotel was named for their father, William Rufus Barringer. The latter owned a number of elegant hotels in the south. Today it is a Senior Citizens Residence Home and Center.
  Physical Description: 3 x 5 Publisher: Dexter Press