You are here

Buildings

Luther Synder House

The Luther Snyder Residence at 1109 Queens Road was remodeled in the 1980s. Today it is known as Carol Hall, and is used by Queens College. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

Charlotte Chamber of Commerce

The Charlotte Chamber of Commerce was located on the south side of West Fourth Street in 1936. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

Tompkins Tower

The Tompkins Tower, named for its owner, Daniel A. Tompkins was located at 133-135 South Church Street. It was built around 1905 and housed the Charlotte Observer newspaper between 1914 and 1923. This photograph was taken on January 2, 1906 from a water tower on North Church Street. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

Wachovia Bank Building

The Wachovia Bank Building on South Tryon Street. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

Courthouse (Replica of the First Mecklenburg County)

This image is of a replica of the First Mecklenburg County Courthouse that was originally located at the intersection of Trade & Tryon Streets. This building was built by the city in honor of America's Bicentennial Celebration of 1976. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

Tryon Street

Looking north from South Tryon and First Streets in the mid-1930s. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

Ivey's Department Store

The J.B. Ivey and Company was located at Tryon and Fifth Streets. Completed in May 1924, it was designed by William Peeps and cost $1,250,000. Today the building is used for condominiums and shops. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

Professional Building

The Professional Building housed a number of offices for doctors and lawyers, hence its name. Completed in 1924, the building was located at North Tryon and Seventh Street. Louis H. Asbury (1877-1975) designed the building and J.A. Jones Company was the contractor. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

East Trade Street

By looking east down Trade Street, once can see the Belk Brother's Department Store on the left. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher:

First National Bank

Architectural rendition of the entrance of First National Bank. The architects were Lockwood, Greene & Company and Louis Asbury. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown