You are here


Presbyterian Hospital

Presbyterian Hospital at the intersection of Hawthorne Lane and Elizabeth Avenue. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dixie News Company

Hotel Alexander

The Hotel Alexander was located on McDowell Street. During the 1940s, it was the only hotel in Charlotte that served Blacks. Celebrities stayed at the hotel. At one time, it was the center of social life in the Second Ward. Physical Description: Publisher: Unknown

Wachovia Bank

The Wachovia Bank and Trust is located on 129 West Trade Street. This fifteen-story tower was the first to use prismatic cast stone panels. Physical Description: 3x5 color Publisher: Unknown

Barringer Hotel

The Barringer Hotel opened its doors on December 15, 1940. Located at 425 North Tryon Street, it was built by Laurence S. and his sister, Flora Barringer. The hotel was named for their father, William Rufus Barringer, who was a former owner of a string of elegant hotels in the south. The Barringer during its heyday was one of the finest establishments in the city. Today it is a Senior Citizens Residence Home and Center. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: E. C. Kropp Company

Clayton Hotel

The Clayton Hotel was located at 38 North Fifth Street. The caption below the picture reads, Charlotte's newest hotel, European plan, rates $1.00 and $1.50. Physical Description: 3x5 black & white Publisher: Unknown

Clayton Hotel

The Clayton Hotel was located on the northeast corner of Church and Fifth Streets. Built in 1913, the hotel offered 100 rooms and 50 baths. It was demolished in the mid-1970s to make room for a parking lot. Merton C. Propst was the owner. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Unknown

YMCA Building (Second One)

The Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) was once located next door to the Latta Arcade in the 300 block of South Tryon Street. Physical Description: 3x5 color Publisher: Unknown

Anna Morrison Jackson's Second House

The home of Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, widow of General Stonewall Jackson, was located at 306 West Trade Street. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Southern Postcard Company

Masonic Temple

Opening on October 11, 1921, the second Masonic Temple in Charlotte was designed by Willard Rogers in the Egyptian Revival style. Prior to its dismantling and demolition, after First Union purchased the property in 1987, it was the last example of Egyptian Revival architecture in North Carolina. The first Masonic Temple in Charlotte was located on South Tryon Street and the corner of Second Street. Built in 1913, at a cost of $122.750, the building was designed by Charles Christian Hook and Willard G. Rogers. J.A. Jones was the construction company.