Alois Louis Steinhauser (1851-1923) owned a lovely estate in the 11th Ward near Liddell Street in Uptown Charlotte. Born in Bohemia (Austria) in 1851. Steinhauser immigrated to the United States in 1877. By the early 1890s, he was living in Charlotte where he became a wealthy cotton manufacturer.
You are here
This is the third and current location of Presyberian Hospital, now Novant Presbyterian. In 1898 the hospital was located on the corner of Trade and Mint Streets in what was once known as the Arlington Hotel. In 1907, the facility moved to a three-story brick building on the southwest corner of Chruch and Sixth Streets, later indentified for many years as the Churchhill Apartments. In 1916, the hospital purchased the former Elizabeth College and remodeled it to serve as a medical facility.
Once known as Biddle University, Johnson C. Smith University is Charlotte's only historic black colleges. The CatawbaPresbytery gathered after the Civil War and raised the funds for a school to educate the newly freed men. It opened its doors in 1867 as Biddle Memorial Institute then later changed its name to Biddle University in 1876. In 1922, Jane Berry Smith, of Pittsburgh, Pa., gave funds to build a theological dormitory, science hall, teachers' cottage and memorial gate.
Myers Park was the second subdivision Prior to that it has been the estate of John Springs Myers which dated back to 1870. By 1883, Myers moved his family to what is now 804 East Trade Street. Although Myers sold parcels of his former estate after moving into town. However, it was until son-in-law George Stephens began purchasing land around the Myers estate and Myers transferred 783 acres to the Stephens Compnay in 1911 that housing boom in southeast Charlotte began.
Aerial view of the Charlotte Polo Club which used the landing field on Queens Road West and Selwyn Avenue. Founded in September of 1923, the club was very popular from 1923-1935. At the time a good polo pony cost $1000.00, and riders needed at least three horses per game. The high costs of the sports led to its demise.
Designed by Frank Milburn, the Southern Railway Station was located on West Trade Street near the Old Stonewall Hotel. It was completed in 1909.
This view of the uptown was taken in 1966. The point of view is from above First Ward, looking towards Third Ward. The intersection of Trade and Tryon Streets is at the center of the image.
Lakewood Park was located in west Charlotte. During the Great Depression, the park fell into disrepair and was eventually demolished. Physical Description: 3x5 color Publisher: S H Kress