You are here

Hornet's Nest

D. H. Hill School

The Daniel Harvey Hill School was located at the corner of South Boulevard and Morehead Street. It was once the home of the North Carolina Military Institute.

Physical Description: black and white glossy

Publisher: Unknown

Sharon Presbyterian Church

On January 30, 1830, residents in the Sharon neighborhood of Charlotte, North Carolina, met at the home of Martha Kirkpatrick to discuss the organization of church. The land for the church, located on what is now Sharon Road, was donated by Dr. J. W. Ross and the Kirkpatrick family. The church building, seen here, was completed and the first services were held on October 22, 1831. 

Physical Description: Snap shot

Publisher: Unknown

Gastonia

Downtown view of Gastonia, North Carolina in 1921.

Physical Description: 8x10 glossy

Publisher: Unknown

Grange Hall School

Grange Hall School was located near Hood Cross Roads in southern Mecklenburg County. Teachers were Turner Honks and L. H. Yandle.

Physical Description: black and white glossy

Publisher: Unknown

Charlotte Signers Monument

The monument of the Signers of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence at its original location at the corner of South Tryon and Third Streets in front of the courthouse. It was later moved in front of another courthouse at 700 East Trade Street.

Physical Description: 8x10 glossy copy of postcard

Publisher: Unknown

Mayor Thomas LeRoy Kirkpatrick and North Carolina Governor Locke Craig

Charlotte Mayor T.L. Kirkpatrick (1877-1946) with North Carolina Governor Locke Craig (1860-1924) posed for this photograph on January 25, 1916. From left to right: Thomas L. Black (1863-1934), Justice Heriot Clarkson (1863-1942), Edmund Randolph Preston (1880-1957), Mayor Kirkpatrick, Dr. John Q. Myers (1877-1944), Governor Craig, Captain John A. Parker and Paul Cameron Whitlock (1878-1959). Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

United States Federal Courthouse and Post Office in Charlotte

The Charles R. Jonas Federal Building is an historic two-story, limestone structure in the neo-classical design. Completed in 1915, it is located at 401 West Trade Street, in Charlotte. An addition was built in 1934. At various times it has served as a courthouse of the United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, and a United States post office. In 1975, the building was renamed in honor of long-serving North Carolina Congressman Charles R. Jonas, and was transferred to the city in exchange for land in the fall of 2005.

Presbyterian College

Presbyterian College was the precursor to Queens College. This building was located on the corner of College and Ninth Streets. When the school changed its name to Queens, the school moved to the Myers Park area.

Physical Description: 8x10 glossy, 4x5 negative - 1 copy, 4x5 positive - 4 copies

Publisher: Unknown

Jefferson Apartments

The Jefferson Apartments were located at 105 N. Church Street. This photograph was taken in August of 1924.

Physical Description: 8x10 glossy

Publisher: Unknown