You are here

Hornet's Nest

Zebulon Vance House

The Charlotte residence of Zebulon B. Vance (1830-1894), served as twice as Governor of North Carolina (1862-1865) and (1877-1879) and later as United States Senator from North Carolina (1879-1894). After his first term as Governor, Vance, a native of Buncombe County, settled in Charlotte and practiced law.

Physical Description: Black and White

Publisher: Unknown

Meyerson's Department Store

The exact location of Meyerson's Department Store is unknown. Apparently it is not in Charlotte.

Physical Description: 8x10 glossy

Publisher: Unknown

Columbia Building

Columbia Building location unknown

Physical Description: black and white glossy of a postcard

Publisher: Unknown

Society of the Cincinnati

NC State Society of the Cincinnati convened in Charlotte at the Southern Manufacturer's Club on April 15, 1916. Sitting: Commodore W.S. Hogg, USN, Washington, DC: Brig. General Charles L. Davis, USA, Schenectady, NY: Rt. Rev. Joseph Blount Cheshire, Raleigh, Hon. Wilson G. Lamb. Pres. of the Society: Maj. Wm. A. Smith Ansonville, Dr. S. Westray Battle, USN retired, Asheville: Colonel Benehan Cameron, Stagville,: F. Brevard McDowell, Charlotte: Standing: Heriot Clarkson, Charlotte: DeLancey Haywood, Raleigh: B.D. Nelme, Ansonville: Walter W.

Columbia, South Carolina

Office building located at 1300 Pickens Street in Columbia, South Carolina.

Physical Description: black and white glossy

Publisher: Unknown

Cornelius Public Library

Interior shot of the Cornelius Branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

D. H. Hill School

The Daniel Harvey Hill School was located at the corner of South Boulevard and Morehead Street. It was once the home of the North Carolina Military Institute.

Physical Description: black and white glossy

Publisher: Unknown

Sharon Presbyterian Church

On January 30, 1830, residents in the Sharon neighborhood of Charlotte, North Carolina, met at the home of Martha Kirkpatrick to discuss the organization of church. The land for the church, located on what is now Sharon Road, was donated by Dr. J. W. Ross and the Kirkpatrick family. The church building, seen here, was completed and the first services were held on October 22, 1831. 

Physical Description: Snap shot

Publisher: Unknown