You are here
In 1902, the Mother’s Study Club in Charlotte re-organized and expanded its membership as well as its civic activities to include all women, hence its new name, the Charlotte Women’s Club. Dr. Annie was a long time member and leader in the organization's role in improving public health. In the documents below, note Dr. Annie's name as one of the members responsible for the club's programs on matters of "Health." She normally chaired this committee which was responsible for improving the quality of life for young mothers in Charlotte where there was a need to provide the latest information and guidance on childcare. The newspaper article about the "Better Babies" campaign refers to the club's efforts in 1918, which were directed to neighborhoods of millworkers. (1)
By the 1920s, the "Health" Committee changed its name to "Public Welfare." Though no longer chair of the committee. Dr. Annie frequently gave lectures at the Club's monthly meetings. Here she is listed to speak on a topic close to her hear, "Tuberculosis." (2)
1. The Charlotte Observer, May 3, 1918.
2. Charlotte Women's Club Papers, (1922-1923 program) Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room Archives, Charlotte, North Carolina: Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.