You are here

Transportation

Tryon Street (North)

View of North Tryon Street from Trade Street features cars from the 1950s and the shops that existed at that time.

Physical Description: 8 x 10 black and white

Publisher:

Last Street Car

Notable city leaders who rode the last street car in Charlotte pose for a picture. From left to right: H.W. Harkey, Chairman Board of County Commissioners; Mayor Ben E. Douglas. Second Row: N.A. Cocke, Vice-President Duke Power. Third Row: Reverend Dr. Luther Little, Pastor of First Baptist Church; and E.C. Marshall, Vice-President of Duke Power. Photograph donated by Jean Ivey, wife of George Ivey, Jr., on 12 September 1974. Physical Description: Negative only Publisher:

Independence Building Under Construction

Street scene in uptown Charlotte showing road repair, construction of the Independence Building, and two streetcars, the Fourth Ward and the Highland Park (North Charlotte). Physical Description: Negative only Publisher:

Last Street Car

Dignitaries with a streetcar and one of the buses that would replace streetcars on the last day the streetcars went through Charlotte in May 1938.
Duke Power operated both the street car and the bus system at that time. Physical Description: Negative only Publisher: