You are here

Transportation

Trade Street (West)

A passenger train holds up traffic on West Trade Street. The train was traveling on the Southern Railway Mainline. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy4x5 negative Publisher: Unknown

Sanitary Laundry Truck

Rowland Stewart Ferguson (1889-1966) stands by his laundry truck at 210 North Cecil Street. (The latter is now known as Kings Drive.) Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

City Buses

Duke Power operated the bus company in Charlotte during the 1930s. The buses parked in front of the trolley car barns on South Boulevard. Drivers are from left to right: Paul Harris, R. H. McLendon, Harry Culp and Dowd McCrorie. The photograph was taken in February of 1936. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

Northwest corner of Independence Square

Late nineteenth century image of the northwest corner of the intersection of Trade & Tryon Streets (The Square.) Notice the covered wagon. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

Southern Railway Passenger Station

The Southern Railway Passenger Station as it appeared from Depot Street in November 1962. Physical Description: 8x10 Publisher: Unknown

Hoover Livery Stables

Thomas B. Hoover in one of his horse and buggies in front of his livery stable that was located at 223 E. Trade Street. (By 19ll, the address changed to 239 East Trade Street.) Physical Description: 8x10 Publisher: Unknown

Crowell's Garage

The College Street or Doc Crowel's Garage at 223 College Street. It is was the first Ford garage in Charlotte. Physical Description: 8x104x5 negative Publisher: Unknown

Horse & Buggy in front of Parker House

Thomas B. Hoover driving one of the horse and buggies from his livery stable. Behind him is the Parker House, which is on the National Register of Historic Places. Once located at 901 Central Avenue, it was built in 1904, shortly after this photograph was taken but was torn down in 2002. Charles Parker operated the Parker Gardner Music Store in Charlotte for a number of years. Physical Description: 8x104x5 negative Publisher: Unknown

Ford Motor Plant in Charlotte

The Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant on Statesville Road was completed in 1924. Four hundred cars could be assembled at this facility in one day. The building was constructed at a cost of 2 million dollars. Albert Kahn designed the building. (E.C. Ball of Detroit is also given credit for assisting with the architectural design.) Charlotte contractors, MacDevitt-Flemming built the plant. Physical Description: 8x104x5 negative Publisher: Unknown