This postcard depicts the Fourth Mecklenburg County Courthouse that was built in 1897, the Independence Monument and the Law Building. Physical Description: 3x5 color Publisher: S H Kress
You are here
Historic Markers North Carolina Charlotte
This historical marker commemorates the signing of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence. It is located in the center of the square at the intersection of Trade & Tryon Streets. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Asheville Postcard and Pennant Company
Scenes of various historical markers and buildings in Charlotte. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Genuine Curteich
Charles W. Johnston (1862-1941) & William Edwin Holt (1873-1954) Houses on North Tryon Street c 1900.
Physical Description: 8x10 glossy
This marker indicates the site of President James K. Polk's birthplace in Pineville, North Carolina. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy, 4x5 negative. Publisher: Barringer and Stone
This plaque honors Charlotte leaders during the Revolutionary War, including Abraham Alexander, John McKnitt Alexander and Ephraim Brevard. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown
The Confederate Monument in Elmwood Cemetery was erected on June 30, 1887 by the builders Berryhill & Johnson. The Ladies' Memorial Association rasied $995 for its construction. Members of the Association included Mary A. Osborne, C.M. Gibbons, Sue B. Watts, Bessie M. Watts, Carrie Wittkowsky, Jane Renwick Wilkes, and Laura Morrison Brown. In May, the association discovered it did not have funds. John Wilkes offerred to finish the work at his factory, The Mecklenburg Iron Works for half the cost.
Originally located located at West Fourth and Mint Streets the Shipp monument was erected was erected to honor the memory of Lieutenant William Ewen Shipp (1861-1898) of Charlotte who died in the Battle of Santiago during the Spanish American War. The Winnsboro granite obelisk was paid for by funds donated by North Carolina schoolchildren. Today, the monument is located on the east side of the Federal Courthouse on West Trade Street.
Physical Description: 8x10 glossy, 4x5 negatives - 2 copies Publisher: Unknown
This historic marker is the site where Jefferson Davidson stood on Tryon Street when he learned of President Abraham Lincoln's death on April 15, 1865. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown
Photograph of the Dedication of a stone marker for the D. H. Hill School which stood at South Boulevard and Morehead Street.To the right of the marker is D. H. Hill IV, Carolina Platt and D. H. Hill, III. To the left of the marker is a child (unknown), North Governor Angus McLean and Cornelia Fore, Charlotte's leading historian of her day. Her papers are housed in the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room.To the far left, the bearded soldier is possibly named Mason, grandfather of Lillian Crosland. The granite boulder was manufactured by Piedmont Marble Company, and has since been lost.