You are here

Buildings North Carolina Charlotte

Selwyn Hotel

The Selwyn Hotel was located on West Trade Street. It opened in 1907. The postcard is looking east down Trade Street. Other businesses are in view. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: E. C. Kropp Company

Third Mecklenburg County Courthouse

The Third Courthouse was located at Church and Trade Streets. Each of the tall, white columns were made from a single pine tree then stuccoed after being milled. It gave the appearance of marble. When the courthouse was torn down, no one recalled this fact, and the workers were surprised to discover perfectly preserved trees beneath the stucco. It was torn down in 1898. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Souvenier Postcard Company

Mercy Hospital

Mercy Hospital was started by the Sisters of Mercy, located in Belmont, North Carolina in 1906. The address is 2001 Vail Avenue. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dixie News Company

Presbyterian Hospital

Presbyterian Hospital is located on the former site of Elizabeth College. It was founded in 1898 by four doctors who first called it Charlotte Private Hospital. It is located at 200 Hawthorne Lane. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: B & H Photo Company

Charlotte Memorial Hospital

Charlotte Memorial Hospital has graduate programs in medical education, nursing, dietetics, and X-Ray and Laboratory Technology. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dixie News Company

Charlotte Sanatorium

the Charlotte Sanatorium was in existence from 1907-1942. It was privately owned and lead by about thirty physicians and surgeons. It was 5 stories, fireproof, and had space for one-hundred patients. It was located on the corner of Seventh and Church Streets. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: S H Kress

Good Samaritan Hospital

Good Samaritan Hospital was the first hospital built for African Americans in North Carolina. The original building was made on December 18, 1888. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dixie News Company

Charlotte Memorial Hospital

Memorial Hospital was created in 1940 due in part to the trustees of St. Peter's Hospital, who worked to form the new medical facility. Today it is known as the Carolinas Medical Center. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dixie News Company

Presbyterian Hospital

Presbyterian Hospital is located on the former site of Elizabeth College. It was founded in 1898 by four doctors who first called it Charlotte Private Hospital. It is located at 200 Hawthorne Lane. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: E. C. Kropp Company