This view of the uptown was taken in 1966. The point of view is from above First Ward, looking towards Third Ward. The intersection of Trade and Tryon Streets is at the center of the image.
You are here
Buildings North Carolina Charlotte
Faculty of Myers Street Elementary School. In the back row, left, B. D. Roberts, principal stands. Physical Description: Publisher: Unknown
Good Samaritan Hospital from the `Nightingale` 1959 yearbook, page 34. Physical Description: Publisher: Unknown
Good Samaritan Hospital nurses' home from the `Nightingale`, 1959 yearbook, page 39. Physical Description: Publisher: Unknown
The Little Rock AME Zion Church was established in the 1870s. The building seen here is the second 1887 Little Rock AME Zion Church was located in Third Ward on S. Graham St. between Second and Third Streets. In 1906, the church was moved to the 7th and Myers Street. Because the move took place over several days, it was necessary to hold a funeral inside the sanctuary during the move. This building was replaced by a more substaintial one in 1911.
Physical Description: Publisher: Unknown
The new St. Paul Baptist Church on McDowell Street. The Reverend James F. Wertz was the Pastor. Physical Description: Publisher: Unknown
The Charlotte Sanatorium operated from 1907 to 1942. It was a general, 100 bed hospital, privately owned by thirty local doctors. The hospital was located on the southeast corner of Seventh and Church Streets. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Stone and Barringer Publishers
The Colonial Apartments were located at 512-616 North Tryon Street. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: CT American Art
The Realty Building was located at the corner of Trade and Tryon and was built in 1907. It was renamed the Independence Building in 1920 and was torn down in 1981. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: S H Kress
Opening on October 11, 1921, the second Masonic Temple in Charlotte was designed by Willard Rogers in the Egyptian Revival style. Prior to its dismantling and demolition, after First Union purchased the property in 1987, it was the last example of Egyptian Revival architecture in North Carolina. The first Masonic Temple in Charlotte was located on South Tryon Street and the corner of Second Street. Built in 1913, at a cost of $122.750, the building was designed by Charles Christian Hook and Willard G. Rogers. J.A. Jones was the construction company.