Daily activities are depicted on this postcard of Tryon Street looking South from the Square. Physical Description: 3x5 color Publisher: S H Kress
You are here
Charlotte Postcard Collection
Built in 1774, the rock house of Hezekiah Alexander is the oldest standing home in Charlotte. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: E. C. Kropp Company
Lakewood Park was located in west Charlotte. During the Great Depression, the park fell into disrepair and was eventually demolished. Physical Description: 3x5 color Publisher: S H Kress
Aerial view of uptown Charlotte.Caption reads, Charlotte, North Carolina rapidly changing skyline. Physical Description: 3x5 color Publisher: Unknown
The Fourth Mecklenburg Courthouse was located on the site of Liberty Hall. (The intersection of Tryon and Third Streets.) The `Lawyers` Building was located nearby. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: S H Kress
The Stonewall Hotel at 527 West Trade Street was built in 1907 and closed in 1958. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: GK New York
The Charlotte Municpal Airport opened in 1936 under the auspices of the city of Charlotte.
During World War II, the United States Army Airforce took over the management of the airport and established Morris Field Air Base in 1941. The airfield was used by the Third Airforce for antisubmarine patrols and training. After the war, a passenger terminal was added, and the airport was renamed the Douglas Municipal Airport in honor of Mayor Ben E. Douglas (1894-1981). Physical Description: copy of original Publisher: Aerial Photography Services, Inc.
The fifth Mecklenburg County Courthouse is located at 700 East Trade Street. Built at a cost of one million dollars, it first opened in 1928. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: E. C. Kropp Company
Aerial view looking east from the Independence Building. A trolley is in the center of the street. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Unknown
Aerial view of uptown Charlotte Physical Description: 3x Publisher: Unknown