You are here

Charlotte Postcard Collection

Stonewall Hotel

The Stonewall Hotel at 527 West Trade Street was built in 1907 and closed in 1958. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: GK New York

Charlotte Municipal Airport

The Charlotte Municpal Airport opened in 1936 under the auspices of the city of Charlotte.
During World War II, the United States Army Airforce  took over the management of the airport and established Morris Field Air Base in 1941. The airfield was used by the Third Airforce for antisubmarine patrols and training. After the war, a passenger terminal was added, and the airport was renamed the Douglas Municipal Airport in honor of Mayor Ben E. Douglas (1894-1981). Physical Description: copy of original Publisher: Aerial Photography Services, Inc.

Fifth Mecklenburg County Courthouse

The fifth Mecklenburg County Courthouse is located at 700 East Trade Street. Built at a cost of one million dollars, it first opened in 1928. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: E. C. Kropp Company

Aerial view of Charlotte

Aerial view looking east from the Independence Building. A trolley is in the center of the street. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Unknown

Uptown Charlotte

Aerial view of uptown Charlotte Physical Description: 3x Publisher: Unknown

Colonial Apartments

The Colonial Apartments were located at 512-616 North Tryon Street. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: CT American Art

Charlotte skyline

Charlotte skyline. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: S H Kress

Aerial view of Charlotte Coliseum

Aerial view of Charlotte coliseum, Ovens Auditorium and the Charlotte Merchandise mart. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Unknown

Blandwood Apartments

The Blandwood Apartments were located at 807-808 South Tryon Street. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: S H Kress

Horner Military School

The Horner Military School was first founded in Oxford, North Carolina in 1851, but moved to Charlotte in 1914. In Charlotte, the school was built on Roswell Avenue in Myers Park by Colonel Jerome C. Horner, son of the founder. In 1920, the school was remodeled and became the Rockledge Apartments. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Carolina Card Company