You are here

Charlotte Postcard Collection

Queens College

Queens College is located on Selwyn Avenue. Founded in 1912, it was traditionally as school for young women before becoming co-ed in the 1970s. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Unknown

Central High School

Central High on Elizabeth Avenue is now part of Central Piedmont Community College. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dixie News Company

William Phifer House

The home of William F. Phifer was located at 700 North Tryon Street. Reportedly, this is the site of the last full meeting of the Confederate Cabinet. That meeting was held on April 26, 1865. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Asheville Postcard and Pennant Company

Charlotte's skyline

The skyline of Charlotte as seen from Myers Park. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Carolina Card Company

Charlotte Motor Speedway

Charlotte Motor Speedway is located between Charlotte and Concord, North Carolina. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Unknown

William Phifer House

William F. Phifer's house was located at 700 North Tryon Street. Reportedly the last meeting of the complete Confederate Cabinet met here on April 26, 1865. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Southern Postcard Company

Johnson C. Smith University

First known as Biddle University, Johnson C. Smith University was founded in 1870 on Beatties Ford Road. Colonel W.R. Myers donated the land. The school was first named for its financial benefactor, Mary Biddle. On March 1, 1923, the school changed its name to Johnson C. Smith University in honor of another donor. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: S H Kress

Cowan's Ford Dam

Cowan's Ford Dam is located in northern Mecklenburg County. It was constructed by the Duke Power Company.

Physical Description: 3x5

Publisher: Unknown