You are here

Robinson-Spangler North Carolina Room Image Collection

Johnson C. Smith University

 
First known as Biddle University, Johnson C. Smith University was founded in 1870 on Beatties Ford Road. Colonel W.R. Myers donated the land. The school was named for its financial benefactor, Mary Biddle. On March 1, 1923, the school changed its name to Johnson C. Smith University in honor of another donor. In the center of the postcard is Biddle Hall (1884), and on the right is the Carnegie Library (1911).

Physical Description: 3 x 5 postcard

Publisher:

Charlotte Symphony Orchestra

The Charlotte Symphony played its first concert March 20, 1931. Today it is a fine professional symprony orchestra, probably the oldest symphony orchestra in the South in continuous operation.

Physical Description: 8 x 10 inches, black and white, glossy

Publisher:

Catawba River

The postcard is misleading as there is no Lake Catawba in Mecklenburg County. It is in fact a portion of the Catawba River. The latter rises in the Blue Ridge Mountains on the Buncombe-McDowell County line and flows through McDowell and Burke County before continuing down through Caldwell, Alexander, Iredell, Lincoln, Mecklenburg and Gaston. It enters South Carolina approximately twenty-one miles west of Charlotte and joins the Big Wateree River.

Physical Description: 3 x 5 postcard

Publisher: Curteich Company, Chicago, Illinois

Liberty Life Building

A night time view of the Liberty Life Building in Charlotte at 112 South Tryon Street. Originally known as the First National Bank in 1927, the name changed in 1940 when Liberty Life Insurance Company of Greenville, South Carolina purchased the property.

Physical Description: 3 x 5 postcard

Publisher:

YWCA Hostess House at Camp Greene

YWCA established a facility at Camp Greene during World War I. Organized sports activities were available. The Hostess House enabled soldiers to entertain visiting family members and write letters home using YMCA stationary.

Physical Description: Postcard with photograph

CP_2013_04_553_00

Joseph Benjamin Ivey's Tulip Garden

Joseph Benjamin Ivey (d. 1958) opened his tulip garden to the public each April. The garden contained over 35,000 tulips of different varieties.

Physical Description: 3 x 5 postcard

Publisher: