You are here

Charlotte Postcard Collection

Ovens Auditorium

Ovens Auditorium is located on Independence Boulevard. Completed in 1955, it was named for cultural leader, David Owens. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Aerial Photography Services, Inc.

Fourth Courthouse and Lawyers Building

The Fourth Mecklenburg Courthouse was located on the site of Liberty Hall. (The intersection of Tryon and Third Streets.) The `Lawyers` Building was located nearby. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: S H Kress

Pineville Dinner Theater

Interior of the Pineville Dinner Theater. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Aerial Photography Services, Inc.

Covenant Presbyterian Church

Covenant Presbyterian Church was formed in June 1947 with the merger of two churches, Second Presbyterian (organized 1873) and Westminster Presbyterian Church (organized 1897). Covenant is considered to be one of the finest examples of Gothic Revival architecture in the United States. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Aerial Photography Services, Inc.

Fifth Mecklenburg County Courthouse

The fifth Mecklenburg County Courthouse is located at 700 East Trade Street. Built at a cost of one million dollars, it first opened in 1928. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: E. C. Kropp Company

Stonewall Hotel

The Stonewall Hotel at 527 West Trade Street was built in 1907 and closed in 1958. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: GK New York

Charlotte Municipal Airport

The Charlotte Municpal Airport opened in 1936 under the auspices of the city of Charlotte.
During World War II, the United States Army Airforce  took over the management of the airport and established Morris Field Air Base in 1941. The airfield was used by the Third Airforce for antisubmarine patrols and training. After the war, a passenger terminal was added, and the airport was renamed the Douglas Municipal Airport in honor of Mayor Ben E. Douglas (1894-1981). Physical Description: copy of original Publisher: Aerial Photography Services, Inc.

Colonial Apartments

The Colonial Apartments were located at 512-616 North Tryon Street. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: CT American Art

Aerial view of Charlotte

Aerial view looking east from the Independence Building. A trolley is in the center of the street. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Unknown

Uptown Charlotte

Aerial view of uptown Charlotte Physical Description: 3x Publisher: Unknown