You are here

Hotels

Selwyn Hotel

The Selwyn Hotel was located on West Trade Street. It opened in 1907. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Genuine Curteich

Hotel Charlotte

The Hotel Charlotte opened is doors in 1923. It was located at the corner of West Trade and Poplar Streets. The hotel was the most popular hotel in Charlotte. During the 1920s, the Hotel Charlotte was site of an early recording studio. Bill Monroe, the Delmore Brothers and other country music legends made their early recordings at the hotel. It was demolished in 1988. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Genuine Curteich

Mayfair Hotel now the Dunhill

The Mayfair Hotel, now known as the Dunhill Hotel, is located at the corners of North Tryon and 6th Streets. Built by two local physicians, Dr. James Pleasant Mattheson and Dr. C.N. Peeler, the hotel opened its doors as the Mayfair Manor on November 15, 1929. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the hotel was designed by Louis Asbury. The Dunhill Hotel Associates restored the Mayfair to its present grandeur in the late 1980s, and changed its name. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: E. C. Kropp Company

Selwyn Hotel (Lobby)

Interior shot of the Selwyn Hotel that was located on West Trade Street. Physical Description: 3x5 black and white Publisher: Unknown

Historic Houses

Handsome Homes of Charlotte, N. C. One of the residences is listed as belonging to R.A. Dunn. Robert A. Dunn was the President of Burwell & Dunn Company, wholesale druggists. His home, pictured here, was at 503 North Tryon Street. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: S H Kress

Miller & Tillett Homes

Handsome Homes, Charlotte, North Carolina, R. M. Miller and C. W. Tillett. Robert M. Miller was the president of the Elizabeth Mills and Millerton Homes Company and the Secretary-Treasurer of the Buford Hotel. His home was located at 406 North Tryon Street. Charles W. Tillett's home was located at 801 North Tryon Street. He was a prominent businessman in Charlotte. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: S H Kress

Chandler's Village Court

Chandler's Village Court on U.S. 21 South in Charlotte, North Carolina boasted steam heat, tile baths, Beauty Rest Mattresses, Grade `A` Grill and Real Southern Hospitality. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: S H Kress

Catalina Motor Lodge

The Catalina Motor Lodge was located at 2403 Wilkinson Boulevard. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: F. Earl Crawford

Barringer Hotel

The Barringer Hotel opened its doors on December 15, 1940. Located at 425 North Tryon Street, it was built by Lawrence S. Barringer and his sister, Floral Barringer. The hotel was named for their father, William Rufus Barringer, who was a former owner of a string of elegant hotels in the south. The Barringer during its heydays was one of the finest establishments in the city. Today it is a Senior Citizens Residence Home and Center.This postcard is a reproduction from a Ted Lewy Original Water Color. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Ted Lewy 2200 39th Avenue