You are here

Hotels

Hotel Alexander

The Hotel Alexander was located on McDowell Street. During the 1940s, it was the only hotel in Charlotte that served Blacks. Celebrities stayed at the hotel. At one time, it was the center of social life in the Second Ward. Physical Description: Publisher: Unknown

Barringer Hotel

The Barringer Hotel opened its doors on December 15, 1940. Located at 425 North Tryon Street, it was built by Laurence S. and his sister, Flora Barringer. The hotel was named for their father, William Rufus Barringer, who was a former owner of a string of elegant hotels in the south. The Barringer during its heyday was one of the finest establishments in the city. Today it is a Senior Citizens Residence Home and Center. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: E. C. Kropp Company

Clayton Hotel

The Clayton Hotel was located on the northeast corner of Church and Fifth Streets. Built in 1913, the hotel offered 100 rooms and 50 baths. It was demolished in the mid-1970s to make room for a parking lot. Merton C. Propst was the owner. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Unknown

Selwyn Hotel

The Selwyn Hotel was located on West Trade Street. It opened in 1907. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Stone and Barringer Publishers

Mecklenburg Hotel

The Mecklenburg Hotel was located at 520-524 West Trade Street. It was built in 1914 by W.C. Petty. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Genuine Curteich

Mecklenburg Hotel

The Mecklenburg Hotel Was located at 520-524 West Trade Street. It was built in 1914 by W.C. Petty. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dixie News Company

Stonewall Hotel

The Stonewall Hotel at 527 West Trade Street was built in 1907 and closed in 1958. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: GK New York

Selwyn Hotel

The Selwyn Hotel was located on West Trade Street. It opened in 1907. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Genuine Curteich

Hotel Charlotte

The Hotel Charlotte opened is doors in 1923. It was located at the corner of West Trade and Poplar Streets. The hotel was the most popular hotel in Charlotte. During the 1920s, the Hotel Charlotte was site of an early recording studio. Bill Monroe, the Delmore Brothers and other country music legends made their early recordings at the hotel. It was demolished in 1988. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Genuine Curteich