The residence of William Henry Belk (1862-1952) was located at 120 Hawthorne Lane. It was built in 1925 by the Theis-Smith Company. Charles C. Hook (1869-1934) was the architect. Today the house is used by Presbyterian Hospital. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown
You are here
Historic Houses North Carolina
The residence of Anna Morrison Jackson's House on the north side of West Trade Street near the intersection with Mint Street. She was the widow of General Stonewall Jackson. This print was taken from a 1911 postcard. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown
At one time Minor C. Mayer (1849-1916) residence was located at 302 North College Street seen here. The family moved to a house at 802 South Tryon Street soon after this picture was taken. Mayer owned a large grocery store at 47-49 South Tryon Street.
The bicycles in front of the houses reportedly belong to Mayer's sons, Robert A. and Clinton R. Mayer. The latter owned a drugstore at 301 North Tryon Street.
Physical Description: 8 x 10 black and white with 4 x 5 negative
This house was once located at the intersection of what is now Highway 115 and Mayes Road. The home and surrounding plantation was the property of Andrew Springs who was a successful farmer, store owner and ran the local post office. Springs died in 1860, and the house became the property of Dr. Isaac Wilson.
Physical Description: negatives only
The Charlotte residence of Zebulon B. Vance (1830-1894) at Sixth and College Streets. Born in Buncombe County, Vance served twice as Governor of North Carolina. After the Civil War he moved to Charlotte and established a law practice. Later Vance was served as one North Carolina's a United States Senator.
Physical Description: 3 x 5