You are here

Historic Houses

Hezekiah Alexander House

Built in 1774, the rock house of Hezekiah Alexander is the oldest standing home in Charlotte. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: E. C. Kropp Company

James K. Polk House

The birthplace of America's Eleventh President, James Knox Polk is located in Pineville, North Carolina. The cabin has since been restored. Polk was an 1818 UNC Chapel Hill graduate. He became President of the United States on March 4, 1845. Physical Description: 3x5 color Publisher: Unknown

Anna Morrison Jackson's Second House

The home of Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, widow of General Stonewall Jackson, was located at 306 West Trade Street. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Southern Postcard Company

Hezekiah Alexander House

The Hezekiah Alexander is the oldest home in Mecklenburg County. Made of stone and log timbers, it was built in 1774, Alexander was a prominent farmer and politician in the county. It is located off of Shamrock Road. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: CT American Art

William Phifer House

The home of William F. Phifer was located at 700 North Tryon Street. Reportedly, this is the site of the last full meeting of the Confederate Cabinet. That meeting was held on April 26, 1865. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Asheville Postcard and Pennant Company

William Phifer House

William F. Phifer's house was located at 700 North Tryon Street. Reportedly the last meeting of the complete Confederate Cabinet met here on April 26, 1865. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Southern Postcard Company

Charlotte historic sites

Scenes of various historical markers and buildings in Charlotte. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Genuine Curteich

Hezekiah Alexander House

The Hezekiah Alexander is the oldest home in Mecklenburg County. Made of stone and log timbers, it was built in 1774, Alexander was a prominent farmer and politician in the county. It is located off of Shamrock Road. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Aerial Photography Services, Inc.

Country Club

Ye Country Club is on the title of the card. The card predates the Charlotte Country Club. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: American News Company

Charlotte Country Club

Charlotte Country Club was founded in 1910. It was originally called the Mecklenburg Country Club, the name was changed in 1917. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: McNeil Paper Company