You are here

Historic Buildings North Carolina Charlotte

Little Rock AME Zion Church

The Little Rock AME Zion Church was established in the 1870s. The building seen here is the second 1887 Little Rock AME Zion Church was located in Third Ward  on S. Graham St. between Second and Third Streets. In 1906, the church was moved to the 7th and Myers Street.  Because the move took place over several days, it was necessary to hold a funeral inside the sanctuary during the move. This building was replaced by a more substaintial one in 1911.

Physical Description: Publisher: Unknown

James K. Polk House

The birthplace of America's Eleventh President, James Knox Polk is located in Pineville, North Carolina. The cabin has since been restored. Polk was an 1818 UNC Chapel Hill graduate. He became President of the United States on March 4, 1845. Physical Description: 3x5 color Publisher: Unknown

Charlotte historic sites

Scenes of various historical markers and buildings in Charlotte. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Genuine Curteich

Hezekiah Alexander House

Hezekiah Alexander House was built in 1774. This rock house is located on Shamrock Drive. It is the oldest house in Mecklenburg County. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Asheville Postcard and Pennant Company

Anna Morrison Jackson's Second House

The home of Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, widow of General Stonewall Jackson, was located at 306 West Trade Street. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Raphael Tuck and Sons

Piedmont Building

The Piedmont Building was located at 222 South Tryon Street. Designed by Frank P. Milburn, it was considered the finest office building in North Carolina for its time. Built around 1898, it was demolished in 1957. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy, 4x5 negative -Publisher: Unknown

Sugaw Creek Presbyterian Schoolhouse

This one-room school house is located on the grounds of Sugaw (Sugar) Creek Presbyterian Church. The latter is located at the corner of North Tryon and Sugar Creek Road. In 1960, the school became a church museum. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy. Publisher: Unknown

Law Building

The Law Building was once located at 730 East Trade Street. The building at 700 East Trade served as the Couunty Courthouse from 1927 to 1977. 

Physical Description: 8x10, glossy - 4x5 negative

Publisher: Unknown

Rural Hill (Outbuilding)

Photograph of a water well at Rural Hill, Plantation. Rural Hill was the home of General William Lee Davidson, who died at the Battle of Cowan's Ford in 1781. Davidson College was named for the General. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

Courthouse (Replica of the First Mecklenburg County)

This image is of a replica of the First Mecklenburg County Courthouse that was originally located at the intersection of Trade & Tryon Streets. This building was built by the city in honor of America's Bicentennial Celebration of 1976. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown