You are here


Crowell's Garage

The interior shot of Doc Crowell's Garage, which was located on the 200 block of North College Street. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

Stratford Hotel

The Stratford Hotel was located at 227 North Tryon Street. It had thirty-seven rooms and was completed in 1899. It was originally called the Leland Hotel. In the 1915-1916 Charlotte City Directory, it was known as the Tryon Hotel. The Haverty Furniture Company used the building for around thirty-five years until 1983 when they renovated the building for office space. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

Douglas and Sing Ambulance

This ambulance was owned by Douglas & Sing Funeral Home. This photograh was taken in 1932. On the photograph, the driver seen here is identified as Karl Miller and was reportedly killed shortly after the picture was taken. However, Karl Miller is the donor of the photograph, there is no death certificate for him in 1932, and he is listed in the Charlotte City Directories well into the 1940s. Therefore some mistake must have been made. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

Wiggins Brother's Store

The Wiggins Brother's Wholesale and Retail Store was located at 200-206 East Bland. Jasper P. Wiggins was President of the Company and ran the company along with his brothers: Joseph W. Wiggins, Vice-President; Thomas J. Wiggins, Secretary; and John L. Wiggins, Treasurer. The brothers also owned and operated Wiggins Fuel Company at 1121 South College Street. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

College Street

This photograph captures the activities on College Street while looking north from East 4th Street. Philip Carey Manufacturing is on the left at 216 South College Street. They sold cement, roofing materials and pipe coverings. The Klueppelberg Grocery Company was located at 201 S. College Street. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

College Street

Looking north on College Street from the intersection with East Trade Street. The Bee Hive, on the left, was located at 43-47 E. Trade Street. It was a fashionable dry goods, clothing, shoes and millinery store. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown

Efird's Department Store

The Efird's Department Store was located at 124-30 North Tryon Street. When it was completed in 1923, it was `The only store south of Philadelphia with escalators.` Louis Asbury was the architect and J.A. Jones was the contractor. Physical Description: 8x10 Publisher: Unknown

Garibaldi, Bruns & Dixon Jewelry Store

The Garibaldi, Bruns and Dixon Jewelry Store was originally located at 10-12 South Tryon Street. The store later became known as Garibaldi-Bruns. Today, the store is called Finks Jewelry and is located in the South Park Mall. Physical Description: 4x5 glossy4x5 negative Publisher: Unknown

First Ice Cream Cone

Harry Shaw (seated) was the first to sell ice cream cones in Charlotte. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy4x5 negative 2 copies Publisher: Unknown

Standard Shoe Store

The Standard Shoe Store was located at 32 East Trade Street. This is an interior shot of the store. People identified in the shot include Mr. Barnes, Marion Trapp, Mr. True, Ed Gallagher, and Z.C. Leonard. Second from the left is the manager, Frank N. Littlejohn. He became a police detective in 1929 and later rose to the position of Police Chief of Charlotte. Physical Description: 8x10 Publisher: Unknown