You are here

Hornet's Nest

Selwyn Hotel

The Selwyn Hotel was located on West Trade Street. The Realty Building or Independence Building can be seen in the background. Trolley tracks are clearly visible.

Physical Description: 8x10 from a postcard not the best copy for duplication.

Publisher: Unknown

Southern Cotton Oil Company

The Southern Oil Cotton Company was located on South Tryon Street at Worthington Avenue. On the back of the photo, information indicates the cotton in the foreground burned at some point. Physical Description: 8x10 Publisher: Unknown

Horse & Buggy in front of Parker House

Thomas B. Hoover is shown driving one of the horse and buggies from his livery stable.

Behind him is the Parker House, which is on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built in 1904, shortly before this photograph was taken, and became 901 Central Avenue once the road was named and the houses numbered.  The owner of the house, Charles Parker, operated the Parker Gardner Music Store in Charlotte for a number of years.

Physical Description: 8x104x5 negative Publisher: Unknown

Trade Street (East)

Trade Street looking east from Brevard Street toward Caldwell Avenue.

Physical Description: 8x10

Publisher: Unknown

Passenger Train

The last passenger train serving the Southern Railway Passenger Station in November of 1962. This image captures the area north of the railyard. Physical Description: 8x10 Publisher: Unknown

Rozelles Ferry Bridge

The 1910 opening of the Rozelles Ferry Bridge connecting Mecklenburg and Gaston Counties.

Physical Description: 8x10

Publisher: Unknown

Mecklenburg Auto Company

The Mecklenburg Auto Company at 211 South Church Street.

Physical Description: 8x10

Publisher: Unknown

Southern Railway Passenger Station

The Southern Railway Passenger Station as it appeared from Depot Street in November 1962. Physical Description: 8x10 Publisher: Unknown

Mecklenburg Auto Company

The Mecklenburg Auto Company was located at 211 South Church Street.

Physical Description: 8x10

Publisher: Unknown

Third Mecklenburg County Courthouse

The Third Courthouse was located at Church and Trade Streets. Each of the tall, white columns were made from a single pine tree then stuccoed after being milled. It gives the appearance of marble. When the courthouse was torn down, no one recalled this fact, and the workers were surprised to discover perfectly preserved trees beneath the stucco. It was torn down in 1898. Physical Description: 8x10 Publisher: Unknown