You are here

Mecklenburg Image Collection

A&P at Parkwood Avenue

A&P Store located at 1401 Parkwood Ave, Charlotte NC 1929 in the Belmont neighborhood.

Physical Description: 4 x 3 inches Black and White

Publisher: Charlotte Mecklenburg Library

A&P with Mr C. F. Biggers

Claude Felix Biggers (1880 - 1937) was the manager of the A&P Grocery Store on South Church Street where the Charlotte News building was later built. - N.W. corner of Church and Fourth Street.

Physical Description: 5 x 7, glossy, black and white


Martha Auten 4th grade class photo

At the time of this photograph, Martha Auten lived on Duckworth Avenue with her parents Robert and Duval Auten in the home of her maternal grandfather, Henry Duckworth.
Names of children in photo are as follows:
Girls Seated-Virgil Erane, Rubie Lee Fodd, Martha Autem, Emma Remmie, Margie York, Elizabeth Teameter,
Girls Standing- Mable Nilson, Ethel Godfrey, Doloree Lingle, Idelle Davis, Addie House, Mildred Gardner, Gladis Frazier

Harry Golden

Photo of Harry Golden (May 6, 1902 – October 2, 1981) in his Charlotte home.
Harry Golden was an author, Civil Rights activist and publisher of the Carolina Israelite.  

Physical Description: 3 x 8 black and white, mounted


Literary and Library Association

Organized in 1891, the Charlotte Literary and Library Association was a subscription library located at 22 South Tryon Street in rooms above the Stone and Barringer Bookstore. Bessie Lacey Dewey, the hostess for the association, can be seen in the right bottom corner. The society continued until her death in 1900. Three years later, the Charlotte Public Library opened its doors at 310 North Tryon Street on July 2, 1903.

Physical Description: 5 x 7.5 inches, albumen


Charlotte Speedway

Photo of drivers and crowd at the inaugural race at Charlotte Speedway

Physical Description: 4 x 9.5 inches Black and White



Nurses most likely Presbyterian Hospital

Physical Description: 5 x 7 inches albumen print mounted on board.


Joseph Benjamin Ivey

Joseph Benjamin Ivey (1864-1958) photographed in his garden with dahlias
Photo taken at Morehead at Queens Rd

Physical Description: 5 x 7 inches albumen print


Joe Davidson and Graham Abernathy

 Over a 100 years ago, Charlotte held it’s own Renaissance Festival at the Charlotte Fairgrounds. The Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company (the 4 C's) headed by Edward Dilworth Latta, leased a large track of land to the Mecklenburg Fair Association in 1902. The latter opened a fair in September of that year. The fairgrounds were located on the south side of East Boulevard about where Park Road and Dilworth Road West are today.