Organized in 1891, the Charlotte Literary and Library Association was a subscription library located at 22 South Tryon Street in rooms above the Stone and Barringer Bookstore. Bessie Lacey Dewey, the hostess for the association, can be seen in the right bottom corner. The society continued until her death in 1900. Three years later, the Charlotte Public Library opened its doors at 310 North Tryon Street on July 2, 1903.
Physical Description: 5 x 7.5 inches, albumen