You are here

Religion

First Baptist Church

Once the home of First Baptist Church, this site is located in the 300 block of North Tryon Street. The church can trace its history to 1832. This facility was built in 1908 and served the congregation until the 1970s when they moved to a new church. The older facility was transformed into a cultural center for arts education and is known as Spirit Square. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Tichnor Brothers

First Presbyterian Church

Located at Trade and Church Streets, First Presbyterian Church is the site of one of the first churches built in the city of Charlotte. The original church was completed in 1923. The current church was built in 1895. It became know as First Presbyterian Church in 1873 with the organization of Second Presbyterian Church. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: CT American Art

First Presbyterian Church

Located at Trade and Church Streets, First Presbyterian Church is the site of one of the first churches built in the city of Charlotte. The original church was completed in 1923. The current church was built in 1895. It became know as First Presbyterian Church in 1873 with the organization of Second Presbyterian Church. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: S H Kress

Second Presbyterian Church

Second Presbyterian Church was located at 214 North Tryon Street. It was founded in 1873. The church merged in 1947 with Westminster Presbyterian Church to form Covenant Presbyterian Church. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Unknown

Dilworth United Methodist Church

Dilworth United Methodist Church went by a number of different names after it was founded in the late 1800s. In 1926, the church moved to East Boulevard into a large Gothic designed edifice. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: E. C. Kropp Company

Five Presbyterian Churches

Postcard features images of Westminster Presbyterian, Second Presbyterian, Steele Creek Presbyterian, Myers Park Presbyterian and First Presbyterian Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Curteichcolor

First Church of Christian Scientist

The first organization of Christian Scientists in Charlotte took place in Charlotte homes in 1900. Eventually their numbers grew, and the congregation organized in 1905. Officially it became known as The First Church of Christian Scientist of Charlotte in 1911. The first church was built in 1919 on the corner of Cedar and West Trade Streets until they moved to the church seen here in 1940. It is located on East Morehead Street. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Unknown

First Methodist Church

The First Methodist Church formed in 1927 with the merger of Tryon Street Methodist and Trinity Methodist. This particular building was completed in 1927 at a cost between $8000,000 and $900,000. It houses a four-manual organ, tower chimes, a 1560 seat auditorium and a educational building. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Genuine Curteich

Billy Graham Crusade

Billy Graham Crusade in Charlotte Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Unknown