In 1890, Dr. Annie purchased a home at 410 North Tryon Street from R. J. Shipp of Catawba County for $3,500. This one-story home served as both her office and residence. Dr. Annie kept her horse and buggy in a stable behind the house and used it to visit patients all over the county. Soon, her parents moved in with Dr. Annie. Dr. J. B.
You are here
North Tryon Street
From the Charlotte Home Democrat, May 29, 1885:
"Miss Annie Lowrie Alexander of Mecklenburg County passed an examination before the Board of Medical Examiners in Durham and was admitted as a member of the North Carolina Medical Association."
One of her first actions as a professional doctor was to deliver a lecture at the Farmer's Institute in Concord, Cabarrus County in 1887.
This image is an albumen on card of North Tryon Street. Taken by photographer James Van Ness, it is one of the oldest exterior, original photographs of Charlotte. Physical Description: 4x4 albumen Publisher: Unknown