Meeting of Board of Directors of AME Zion Publishing House, on the porch of the building at Myers and E. 8th Streets. Front row, left to right: Dr. Gales of Livingstone College, Bishop A. J. Warner, Bishop George Clinton, Dr. Atkins of what was then Winston-Salem State College. Back row: Reverend Simmons, Reverend S. D. Watkins, Reverend E. L. Marable, and Reverend Bennett. Physical Description: 8x10 Publisher: Unknown
You are here
Newspaper Industry North Carolina Charlotte
Afro-American Newspaper carriers organized in 1933. Front row, seated: Ray A. Booton. Second row: Eddie Spears, Mrs. Cathey, David Smith, Mr. Cathey, Gerson Stroud, Addison Yongue John Spears, Mrs. Martha Yongue Johnson, Reginald Wright. Place: Mrs. Johnson's front yard on East 8th Street. Physical Description: 5x7 Publisher: Unknown
The Tompkins Tower, named for its owner, Daniel A. Tompkins was located at 133-135 South Church Street. It was built around 1905 and housed the Charlotte Observer newspaper between 1914 and 1923. This photograph was taken on January 2, 1906 from a water tower on North Church Street. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown
Interior shot of the Charlotte Observer's composing room. The newspaper office was located in the 100 block of South Church Street. Physical Description: 8x10 - badly torn - reproduction questionable Publisher: Unknown
Driver and mechanic pose in their car in front of the Charlotte Observer offices on South Church Street. Physical Description: 8x10 Publisher: Unknown
Charlotte News Sports Staff
Physical Description: 8x10 print and 4x5 negative
Great shot of the Sports News Room at the Charlotte Observer. The photograph below captures the legendary sports staff of the 1940s and 1950s, from left-to-right: Herman Helms, Sam Miller, Dick Pierce, Wilton Garrison and Richard Morris. Physical Description: 8x10 Black and White 4x5 Negative Publisher:
Photo of Harry Golden (May 6, 1902 – October 2, 1981) in his Charlotte home.
Harry Golden was an author, Civil Rights activist and publisher of the Carolina Israelite.
Physical Description: 3 x 8 black and white, mounted
The Charlotte Observer headquarters took up the entire block at Tryon and Stonewall when it was built in 1971. This picture shows the side that faced the first block of West Stonewall Street still intact but the rest of the building already demolished.
Publisher: Charlotte Mecklenburg Library