The Louise Cotton Mill still stands at 1101 Hawthorne Lane in Charlotte. At the time of its completion in 1897, it was the largest mill in Charlotte. In 1901, a large additon was completed. Herbert Smith Chadwick (1856-1899) was the owner He also built 60 mill houses nearby in rows of five with twelve houses to a row. Chadwick came to an untimely end after being honorably discharged from the Army during the Spanish-American War. One year later, he committed suicide in 1899 while in Boston for business.
You are here
Mills North Carolina Charlotte
Hoskins Mill (1904) was located at 201 South Hoskins Road. Mecklenburg Cotton Mill (1904) was located at 3401 North Davidson Street in what is now know as the NODA neighborhood. Elizabeth Mill (1902) was on Dowd Road, and the Chadwick Mill (1901) was west of Biddleville. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: S H Kress
Row of mill houses somewhere in Charlotte. Physical Description: 4x5 negative Publisher: Unknown
The Atherton Mill opened in 1893. At one time it was one of Charlotte's busiest mills employing 300 people. Located on South Boulevard, the buildings have been restored for use as lofts, businesses and restaurants. Physical Description: 4x5 negative Publisher: Unknown
The Atherton Lyceum was built by the D. A. Tompkins, owner of the Atherton Mill. This two-story structure served as the village school in the daytime and provided adult education in the evening. The general store and townhall were also located inside the building. Sunday school was taught every Sabbath. Physical Description: 4x5 negative Publisher: Unknown
Cotton mill workers from the Atherton Mill. Physical Description: 4x5 negative Publisher: Unknown