You are here

Medicine

8

With the establishment of an organized medical society, Mecklenburg County physicians adopted standardized two-fee lists. One was for Charlotte and the incorporated towns and the other was for “regular county practice.”

County Practice Fees (1903)

  • A home visit was $1.50 and additional fifty cents for every three miles the physician traveled.
  • Obstetrical Cases were $7.00. 
  • After 10:00 p.m. the fees doubled.

5

From the Charlotte Home Democrat, May 29, 1885:

"Miss Annie Lowrie Alexander of Mecklenburg County passed an examination before the Board of Medical Examiners in Durham and was admitted as a member of the North Carolina Medical Association."

One of her first actions as a professional doctor was to deliver a lecture at the Farmer's Institute in Concord, Cabarrus County in 1887.

Presbyterian Hospital

Presbyterian Hospital was originally located at 311 West Trade Street. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Stone and Barringer Publishers

Presbyterian Hospital

Presbyterian Hospital at the intersection of Hawthorne Lane and Elizabeth Avenue. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dixie News Company

Charlotte Sanitarium

The Charlotte Sanatorium operated from 1907 to 1942. It was a general, 100 bed hospital, privately owned by thirty local doctors. The hospital was located on the southeast corner of Seventh and Church Streets. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Stone and Barringer Publishers

Mercy Hospital

Mercy Hospital was founded by the Sisters of Mercy of Belmont, North Carolina in February 1906. Originally it was a twenty-five bed facility in a wooden building on East First Street behind St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church. The second facility, pictured here, is the seven-story maternity wing. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: B & H Photo Company

Mercy Hospital

Mercy Hospital was founded by the Sisters of Mercy of Belmont, North Carolina in February 1906. Originally it was a twenty-five bed facility in a wooden building on East First Street behind St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church. The second facility, pictured here, opened in 1916 on East Fifth Street. Additions increased and by 1960, the hospital had a capacity of 300 beds. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: E. C. Kropp Company

Charlotte Memorial Hospital

Memorial Hospital was created in 1940 due in part to the trustees of St. Peter's Hospital, who worked to form the new medical facility. Today it is known as the Carolinas Medical Center. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: E. C. Kropp Company

Charlotte Sanatorium

The Charlotte Sanatorium operated from 1907 to 1942. This 100 room, privately owned hospital was located at the southeast corner of Seventh and Church Streets. The building was later used for offices before being demolished in the mid-1950s. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Curteichcolor

Mercy Hospital School of Nursing

Mercy Hospital was founded by the Sisters of Mercy of Belmont, North Carolina in February 1906. Originally it was a twenty-five bed facility in a wooden building on East First Street behind St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church. The second facility, pictured here, opened in 1916 on East Fifth Street. Additions increased and by 1960, the hospital had a capacity of 300 beds. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Genuine Curteich