You are here

Hospitals

Chapter Information

1.  Fun Facts

◾ First Time Events 

◾ New Words 

◾ Cost of Living 

◾ Things Familiar 

◾ Things Unknown 

◾ Winter Wonders 

◾ Holiday Gifts 

9

By the late 1890s, Dr. Annie enjoyed an ever-expanding medical practice. She had privileges at both St. Peter’s and Presbyterian Hospitals. Dr. Annie’s house calls took her to various locations in the county and she treated patients from all walks of life and of any race.

Good Samaritan Hospital

Good Samaritan Hospital from the `Nightingale` 1959 yearbook, page 34. Physical Description: Publisher: Unknown

Good Samaritan Hospital

Good Samaritan Hospital nurses' home from the `Nightingale`, 1959 yearbook, page 39. Physical Description: Publisher: Unknown

Good Samaritan Hospital

Good Samaritan Hospital Auxiliary. First row, left to right: Careatha Lovell, Floretta D. Gunn, Gertrude Blackmon, Emily Nixon, Lavonne B. Tillman, Alice Anderson, Cora T. Boaton, Bobbie P. Alexander. Second row, left to right: Mildred Brodie Alridge, Dorothy Atkins, Edna Morris, Helen P. Moreland, Fannie Parter, Frances D. Woodson, Dorothy F. Steele, Euniceteen Adam, Sallie Phelps, Maurvene D. Alexander. Physical Description: Publisher: Unknown

Presbyterian Hospital

Presbyterian Hospital was originally located at 311 West Trade Street. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Stone and Barringer Publishers

Presbyterian Hospital

Presbyterian Hospital at the intersection of Hawthorne Lane and Elizabeth Avenue. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dixie News Company

Charlotte Sanitarium

The Charlotte Sanatorium operated from 1907 to 1942. It was a general, 100 bed hospital, privately owned by thirty local doctors. The hospital was located on the southeast corner of Seventh and Church Streets. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Stone and Barringer Publishers

Mercy Hospital

Mercy Hospital was founded by the Sisters of Mercy of Belmont, North Carolina in February 1906. Originally it was a twenty-five bed facility in a wooden building on East First Street behind St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church. The second facility, pictured here, opened in 1916 on East Fifth Street. Additions increased and by 1960, the hospital had a capacity of 300 beds. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dixie News Company

Good Samaritan Hospital

Good Samaritan Hospital was built in 1888 with funds raised by St. Peter's Episcopal Church. Jane Wilkes was instrumental in establishing this medical facility. It was one of the first private hospitals for blacks in the United States. Physical Description: 3x54x5 negative available Publisher: Tichnor Brothers