Once known as Biddle University, Johnson C. Smith University is Charlotte's only historic black colleges. The CatawbaPresbytery gathered after the Civil War and raised the funds for a school to educate the newly freed men. It opened its doors in 1867 as Biddle Memorial Institute then later changed its name to Biddle University in 1876. In 1922, Jane Berry Smith, of Pittsburgh, Pa., gave funds to build a theological dormitory, science hall, teachers' cottage and memorial gate.
You are here
Colleges (See: Universities & Colleges North Carolina)
View of Davidson College campus.
Physical Description: glossy
Scene from Davidson College Campus. Physical Description: 5x7 glossy
Physical Description: 8x10 glossy
Charlotte University School was located at Sixth and North Tryon Streets. This is a school portrait of the class of 1911. Featured are Professor H.W. Glasgow, George Wearn, U, ___ McCloud, Frank Dowd, Eli Todd McNinch, Pete Crayton, Joe Mason, Graham Hunter, Pelhorn Stockton, Steve Miller, Archie Wakefield, John Berryhill, Thorne Ranson, Harry Weeks, ___ Howard, Joe Crayton, Todd Misenheimer, Neil Overman, James H. Carson, H.F.
Philanthropic Hall on the campus of Davidson College. Physical Description: 8x10 glossy Publisher: Unknown