Ovens Auditorium is located on East Independence Boulevard. Conpletedin 1955, it was named for outspoken civic leader David Ovens (1872-1957), the leader of the auditorium-coliseum citizen planning committee. The 2,600-seat auditorium adjoins the Charlotte Coliseum, which also opened in 1955. At one time, the building had the world's largest unsupported concrete dome. The 208,400-square-foot Charlotte Coliseum featured nearly 10,000 seats.
You are here
Auditoriums North Carolina Charlotte
Located on Independence Boulevard, Ovens Auditorium and the first Charlotte Coliseum were completed in 1955. The auditorium was named for David Ovens, a longtime supporter of cultural events. The Charlotte Merchandise Mart can also be seen in this postcard. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Aerial Photography Services, Inc.
Ovens Auditorium is located on Independence Boulevard. Completed in 1955, it was named for cultural leader, David Owens. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Aerial Photography Services, Inc.
Constructed in 1955, Ovens Auditorium is located on Independence Boulevard. It is name for David Ovens, a strong supporter of the cultural arts in Charlotte. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dexter Press
Once the home of First Baptist Church, this site is located in the 300 block of North Tryon Street. The church can trace its history to 1832. This facility was built in 1908 and served the congregation until the 1970s when they moved to a new church. The older facility was transformed into a cultural center for arts education and is known as Spirit Square. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Tichnor Brothers
The Charlotte Auditorium was located at College and Fifth Street. It was demolished in the 1920s. The rubble was used to build the Cannon Cathedral on Wallace Road. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: United States 5-1--25 Stores, Inc.
Ovens Auditorium is located on Independence Boulevard. Completed in 1955, it was named for cultural leader, David Owens. Physical Description: 3x5 Publisher: Dexter Press
Ovens Auditorium and the first Charlotte Coliseum. Photograph taken on September 18, 1976.
ID Number: H_2000_01_265_35
Image Year: 1976
Physical Description: 8x10 glossy
Category: Hornet's Nest
Format: Black and White
Image Negative: 1
Donor: Margaret Phillips
Copyright: Charlotte Mecklenburg Library
Photographer: Margaret Phillips
The Park Center under construction on the ruins of the Old Armory Auditorium. Physical Description: 8x10 Publisher: Unknown
The Atherton Lyceum was built by the D. A. Tompkins, owner of the Atherton Mill. This two-story structure served as the village school in the daytime and provided adult education in the evening. The general store and townhall were also located inside the building. Sunday school was taught every Sabbath. Physical Description: 4x5 negative Publisher: Unknown