You are here
Edwin S. Porter, of the Edison Corporation, produces the first Western movie, The Great Train Robbery in 1903. (Actor Justin D. Barnes firing at the audience.)
- Odeon and Wonderland show the first movie in Charlotte on March 18, 1907 at The Academy of Music.
- The Wright brothers make aviation history in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, on December 12, 1903.
- Marie Curie becomes the first woman to win a Nobel Prize for Science in 1903
- In 1903, Alexander Winton set the 1st land speed record in car racing. Set at Daytona Beach, his speed was 68.18 mph.
- Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first United States President to be awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace.