You are here

Cramer, Alexander and Hawley Houses

Object Year: 
1915
Object Height: 
3 1/2 inches
Object Width: 
5 1/2 inches
Prints Available: 
Yes
Image ID: 

Use the Image ID above when requesting image prints.

This postcard captures three of the most fashionable homes in Dilworth. Only one still stands. They include from left-to-right  the home of Stuart Warren Cramer (1868-1940) (postcard mistakenly has a "V"), the Hawley and the Robert O. Alexander home. Stuart Cramer was one of the south's leading textile architects and engineers. His massive Victorian residence in Charlotte was built between 1903 and 1904 was located at what is now 401 East Morehead Street. The Francis O. Hawley House was located on what was once called East Avenue then later Elizabeth Avenue.  Located at 301 Park Avenue, the  Alexander House was built in 1900 for John L. Villalonga, who was president and treasurer of the Charlotte Roofing and Paving Company. He moved to New York three years later and Robert O. Alexander, a cotton broker, purchased the home for his family.

Published by the International Post Card Company.

Image Collection Category: 
Charlotte Postcard Collection
Image Collection Format: 
Postcard