You are here
Leon Ernest Seay was born in Lynchburg, Virginia in 1862. He began work as a photographer sometime in the 1890s. Seay came to Charlotte in 1906 and formed a partnership with Charles W. Eutsler. Together they ran a studio from Eutsler’s home at 21 North Tryon Street until 1910. (1) In 1907, Seay formed another partnership with Zachius "Zackie" E. Scott (1866-1943), who owned a studio at 904 Elizabeth Avenue, which was beyond the original four wards. Scott moved to Fort Mill the next year. (2) By 1912, Leon Seay was running a studio at 25 North Tryon Street, and Scott worked on 14 ½ North Tryon Street. At the time of his death in 1930, the newspaper stated he was an architect and artist. (3) However, this could not be verified in the city directories.
Cabinet card of Caroline Taliaferro, wife of Walter Taliaferro, Sr. by Seay and Eustler from the Mary Brevard Alexander Howell Papers.
Click on any of the tags to go to see other photographers and examples of their works..
- Walsh’s Charlotte City Directory, 1905-1906, p. 382 and1910, p. 332.
- Stephen E. Massengill, Photographers in North Carolina the First Century, 1842-1941, 2004, pg. 178.
- The Charlotte News, 13 August 1930, p. 7.