You are here

Hornet's Nest

Charlotte Open Air School

Open Air School in Charlotte. (Public School Superintendent Harry P. Harding is in the background.)

Physical Description: 8x10 glossy4x5 negatives - two copies

Publisher: Unknown

Dennis Apartments

H.D. Dennis Apartments were located at Hopedale and Granville Road.Another copy exists

Physical Description: 8x10 glossy

Publisher:

Charlotte School Board

The 1916 Charlotte School Board. 

Front row, left to right: Guy M. Beaty, T. T. Smith, J. D. McCall, Mayor T. L. Kirkpatrick, Arthur Wearn, Plummer Stewart. Back row: unidentified, M. J. Green, S. F. Tomlinson, J. H. Wilson, J. Landrum Brown, unidentified, Harry P. Harding, D. M. Abernethy, and D. R. Yarboro.

For more information about the history of education in Charlotte, please check vertical files and Harding's "History of Charlotte Schools," which are both located in the Carolina Room.

Queen Charlotte Sophia Mecklenburg-Strelitz Hanover (1744-1818)

Queen Charlotte Sophia Mecklenburg-Strelitz Hanover, wife of King George III. Original portrait hangs in the Mint Museum of Art in Charlotte, North Carolina. The city of Charlotte and the county of Mecklenburg was named in her honor.

Physical Description: 8x10 glossy

Publisher: Unknown

Anna Morrison Jackson's House

Anna Morrison Jackson's second was located at 306 West Trade Street. She was the widow of General Stonewall Jackson.

Physical Description: 8x10 glossy

Publisher: Unknown

Courthouse (Replica of the First)

Interior shot of the replica of the First Courthouse in Mecklenburg County. This structure was built in honor of America's Bicentennial 1976 celebration.

Physical Description: 8x10 glossy

Publisher: Unknown

Courthouse Replica Interior Shot

Another interior shot of the Mecklenburg County Courthouse replica built in 1976 as part of the country's Bicentennial celebration.

Physical Description: 8x10 glossy

Publisher: Unknown

Third Mecklenburg County Courthouse

The Third Courthouse was located at Church and Trade Streets.  Each of the tall, white columns were made from a single pine tree then stuccoed after being milled. It gave the appearance of marble. When the courthouse was torn down, no one recalled this fact, and the workers were surprised to discover perfectly preserved trees beneath the stucco. It was torn down in 1898.

Physical Description: 8x10 glossy4x5 negatives - 6 copies4x5 positives neg. - 5 copies

Publisher: Unknown

Cornelius Branch

The Cornelius Branch first opened in the mid-1930s. Today this area is served by North County Regional Library.

Physical Description:

Publisher: Charlotte Mecklenburg Library