Edward Dilworth LattaEdward Dilworth Latta was a native of Pendleton, S.C. He came to Charlotte in
1876 and worked in a clothing store. In 1890, he organized the Charlotte
Consolidated Construction Company, also called the "4 Cs," and shortly afterward
began developing the city's first suburb, Dilworth.
He was responsible for commissioning noted Olmsted landscape architecture firm
to design a section of Dilworth in a new way. Instead of the grid pattern of the
city's downtown area, the new suburb was graced with curved streets that
followed the natural patterns of the land. Latta Park opened in 1891 and quickly
became a popular recreation spot with its lake, pavilion, greenhouse and picnic
Latta also bought Charlotte's horse-drawn streetcar line and modernized it as the
Charlotte Electric Railway. He built Latta Arcade, one of the few remaining
structures on Tryon Street that survives today from that era. The grand mansion
that was his East Boulevard home no longer stands. It was demolished in the
Latta and his wife, Harriet Nisbet, had three children. When E.D. Latta died in
Asheville, he was one of the richest men in North Carolina. He is buried in
Charlotte's Elmwood Cemetery.