Turn of the 20th Century: Life in Charlotte, NC 1900 - 1910
Site Contents
Looking Back at Charlotte
Fun Facts
Work
Fashion
Homes & Houseware
Schools
Medicine
Religion
Law & Government
Views of the City
What's There Now
Game & Quiz Fun

How to View This Site

What's There Now

Throughout this exhibit, you have seen how different Charlotte looks today when you compare it to how the city appeared over a hundred years. In this section, you discover what is there now and what use to be there many years ago.

  • Today 614,330 of Mecklenburg’s 801,137 residents live inside the city limits of Charlotte.
  • As of 2002, there are only 300 farms left in Mecklenburg County.
  • Recent data indicates that only 24,442 acres of farmland exists in Mecklenburg County. The county is 526 square miles.
  • The Phifer House is the site of the Hal Marshall Government Building.
  • Mrs. Stonewall Jackson’s house was torn down and office complex replaced it.
  • South Graded School is part of the interstate.
  • The site of the Myers Street School is part of the Metro School and the Aquatic Center.
  • North Graded School is a parking lot.
  • Presbyterian Hospital purchases Elizabeth College when the staff and students moved to Virginia. The buildings are part of the hospital complex.
  • Good Samaritan Hospital is now the site of the Bank of America Football Stadium.
  • Presbyterian College becomes apartment buildings, and was later torn down. The lot remains empty.
  • The North Carolina Medical College still stands on the corners of Sixth and Church Streets.
  • Clinton AME Zion Church is now the site of the Bank of America Football Stadium.
  • First Baptist Church # One (Whites) is known as Spirit Square.
  • First Baptist (Black) moves to west Charlotte in 1976. It is now known as First Baptist West. The older church was torn down in 1976.
  • The Bee Hive has been replaced with office buildings.
  • Carolina Clothing Company is the site of the Charlotte Observer.
  • The Ed Mellon Store was torn down in 1907 to build the Independence Building
  • The Independence Building was torn down in 1970 and replaced with a building using the same name.
  • The Trust Building burned down in 1922 and was replaced with office buildings.
  • The Carolina Theater replaced the City Hall in the 1920s.
  • The United States Mint is dismantled and moved to Randolph Road.. It is now the Mint Museum of Art.
  • A tornado strikes Charlotte on April 6, 1936. Rushing water washes out the dam at Lakewood Park and wipes out the facility. The park never recovers from this natural disaster.
  • The Charlotte Auditorium is dismantled in 1932 and moved to Tuckaseegee Road. It is now the Garr Tabernacle.
  • Belk Brothers becomes a regional chain of stores. The uptown store is torn down in 1988 to make way for The Bank of America Building.
  • The W.I. Van Ness Store is now Phil’s Deli.




Visit PLCMC Online

Visit PLCMC Online